Thursday, October 20, 2011

Beautiful Days Ahead

Recently a friend of mine ran into some adversity and she turned to me for guidance on how to move forward. I tried earnestly to say something to her that would spring joy back into her life, but was at a total loss for words. What do you say to someone who suffers a break in hope? “Don’t worry. It’ll get better with time?” Most of us have been in that place where we feel humiliated, overwhelmed, and hopeless all in one. This is not one of life's places we want anyone we care about to be.

As deflating as adversity can feel at the moment, I believe it puts us in a place that helps us grow into even better people. Without pain, without agony, without defeat, we have no frame of reference on which to judge greatness when it shines itself onto our life. I am a firm believer that defining moments, like the one my friend was going through, shape our lives just as the powerful storms and angry volcanoes of years past have shaped Earth. Without conflict, we'd have no Grand Canyon, no Mount Everest, no separate continents, and in respect to our singular lives, no respect for ordinary days when all is calm and right. And just as the storm clouds clear and open up to bright blue, sunny skies, so too will this shroud of regret for the past and fear of the future be lifted for my friend.  For everything is temporary.



Wishing all the best days for you,
Suzie

I feel it's critical to support the community, and so I've committed to donate a portion of my book sale proceeds to Chely Wright's LikeMe foundation (http://likeme.org/) to help provide support, resources and education to LGBT individuals, and their families and friends.

4 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

I like your blog. I write a book review blog. Stop in for coffee and a review anytime. I am following on twitter as well :)
http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/
@kimbacaffeinate

Suzie Carr said...

Thanks, Kimba! I'll check out your book review blog;))

Anonymous said...

Insightful post, Suzie! It really is amazing what we can accomplish if we choose to learn and grow as a result of our challenges... I love your comparisons to Mt. Everest and the like. :) Glad I came upon your blog!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your lovely comment, August!